History

On the historic site of the former airport Casa-Anfa

Anfa Park is designed around the airstrip of the former Casa-Anfa airport that it takes back to its original location. It is thus part of the history of this mythical place.

The civil airport Casa Anfa was built in the 1910s.

Aerial view of the camp and airstrip, 1400 metres long
Casa-Anfa Airport Runway

The northern end of the runway was marked by the number « 21 » which was reproduced identically to its original location at Anfa Park.At the southern end was the figure 03.La runway, tilted 30 degrees from the north-south axis of the earth (30, 210) was a stopover for the line linking Paris and Europe to the west coast of Africa and Latin America.Casa-Anfa Airport was thus a major point-relay for the Aeropostale line.With the Aeropostale, the company Latécoère covered the Toulouse-Saint Louis axis (Senegal), carrying hundreds of thousands of letters and even allowing the privileged to travel on board.It was at this time that the Cazes Camp gradually became a veritable terminal and took the name of Anfa airfield.

Avion de la flotte ''Latécoère'' utilisé pour le transport du courrier et de quelques passagers.
Fleet plane  »Latecoère » used for transporting mail and some passengers
The first facilities at Camp Cazes. Civilian and military hangars house maintenance and workshops

Between 1919s and 1933s, the Anfa airfield was an important step in the delivery of mail from Europe to Africa and, later, to Latin America. Some pioneering aviators stopped there, includingJean Mermoz, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Henri Guillaumet and Paul Vachet.The site of Casa-Anfa airport developed in the 1930s with the construction of a technical block, a terminal and a huge hangar, around the building housing the command of operations.

During the Second World War, the site became, by historical logic, exclusively a military camp.It is even the scene of armed clashes between the Alliance and the Axis.A tragic period that does not prevent the site from being reborn from the ashes.In January 1943, the Anfa Conference brought together U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and the generals of Free France, Henri Giraud and Charles de Gaulle. To get to Casablanca, in this time of war, the safest way is by plane.Roosevelt was the first president in American history to fly in the course of his term.A historic journey that ends on the tarmac of anfa airfield.

 

At the end of the Second World War, Camp Cazes was transformed into a vast airport complex.It is no longer a mere camp, but an airport, which over time becomes a real military base, and nevertheless the main civilian airfield of Casablanca.The site is the hub of domestic air traffic and serves destinations in Morocco and abroad.

In the 1970s, all the technical and operational activities of Casa-Anfa airport were transferred to Nouaceur airport.